Thursday, September 22, 2011

22.9.11

Today, I went to my high school for my younger brother’s graduation ceremony. It’s so surreal each time I’ve been back since I finished, because in many ways school is like a time capsule. Same teachers (most of), same hallway, same uniforms, same classrooms, same set up on stage for the graduation, same snacks provided afterwards, similarities in the principal’s speech from one year to the next, same traditional Year 12 walk through the hallway as the remainder of the staff and students cheer and farewell them.

It’s just a strange feeling to go back to somewhere so much the same that you could begin to imagine it has been suspended in time all along, and the one thing that has changed most is actually yourself.


Of course, it meant having teachers ask me about my health and how I’m doing. I do appreciate that they care, I was very close with many of them, and they were there all along after I got sick and the accidents - I literally couldn’t have finished school without their incredible support. But I just hate the answer I have to give, the ‘I’m about the same, but it’s okay because I’m still in uni and loving it - and I owe a big part of that to you guys getting me through’. It’s hard to believe I’ve been sick for so long, and I wish the answer could be differnet.

No comments:

Post a Comment